Raspberry trees in assortment Becker
Berry season is impossible to imagine without tasty, healthy, fragrant raspberries. Amazing desserts, pastries and the most delicious cure for colds — raspberry jam, the main arguments in favor of growing it. In fact, the berry is indeed cultivated everywhere, it is grown in home gardens, summer cottages, and farm plots.
Every year, breeders delight gardeners with new varieties with amazing qualities: dessert flavors, bright aromas, extraordinary yellow, red and even black shades of berries.
One of the promising areas of breeding today is the cultivation of the standard raspberry variety, known as the «raspberry tree».
Tree or bush?
The tree-like habit of the raspberry bush is achieved by special molding of a tall raspberry variety with thick, strong shoots. Such a bush can reach up to two meters in height, have an impressive resemblance to a tree, but still, in fact, it is not.
The main advantages of growing raspberries in the standard way are convenience:
- crimson tree is compact;
- branches are strong;
- resistant to winds and bad weather;
- withstand the weight of the berry crop.
Areas of attention when planting a raspberry tree
Planting raspberry trees in open ground is carried out in spring and autumn. To do this, conduct appropriate training:
- Choose a sunny place on a hill, without stagnant water.
- The place for planting standard raspberries should be removed from the planting of garden crops such as potatoes, tomatoes, cabbage, cucumbers. In addition, the listed vegetables should not have grown in this place earlier either.
- If necessary, the soil is drained.
- When acidifying the soil — lime.
- Light soils are mixed with ash.
- A month before planting, the soil layer is enriched with peat, nitroammophos, and humus.
- Planting pits are prepared with a depth of 30 cm and a volume of 50×50 cm.
When planting, the stem is kept strictly vertical, carefully spreading the roots in the pit. The seedlings are deepened by placing the root neck 2-3 cm underground. The distance between the bushes is left at least half a meter. After filling the hole with a fresh substrate, the seedling is watered abundantly.
Pruning and shaping the raspberry tree
Growing a raspberry tree does not require special knowledge or skills, its agricultural technology is similar to ordinary raspberry varieties. The main difference is the shaping of the plant by double pruning. It is carried out as follows:
- at one-year-old stems, pinch the top in June, retreating 10-15 cm from the top;
- the next year, the plant forms lateral shoots with new tops, which are also pinched;
- subsequently, raspberries form many fruit branches with shortened internodes, due to which the berries on them appear densely located next to each other.
One of the most pleasant virtues of raspberry trees is long and abundant fruiting. This is due to two factors:
- Repairability of some varieties.
- Proper plant care.
In addition to competent pruning, to increase productivity, raspberries need to be fed, for which:
- in autumn, organic fertilizers (most often rotted manure) are placed on the soil around raspberry trees;
- during the formation of peduncles, phosphorus top dressing is carried out;
- when forming the ovaries of berries, potash fertilizers are applied.
In addition, it is important not to neglect regular watering and mandatory mulching of the near-stem space.
The shoots of standard raspberry varieties are distinguished by their impressive thickness, elasticity and strength, so even the appearance of a large number of peduncles should not embarrass the gardener — the trunk of a raspberry tree will not lie down under the weight of the set berries. If you are still afraid of such an outcome, you can arrange a support by installing pegs with ropes attached to them.
Propagation of the raspberry tree
For a selective, most time-consuming method of reproduction, specialists use seed material. However, it is possible to propagate a raspberry tree in a simpler and more accessible way for any amateur gardener — cuttings. For this:
- divide the root, cutting off parts about 20 cm long from it with growth buds in the fall;
- the segments are added dropwise until the spring heat;
- then lay the cuttings in the furrows;
- fall asleep with a substrate;
Raspberry trees produce almost no lateral shoots or give them in small quantities, so root cuttings are the most common method of reproduction. However, if the shoot at the base still has a green shoot, it should be dug out along with a fragment of the root system, carefully separated and immediately planted in a permanent place.
Varietal diversity and advantages of raspberry trees
The most productive, high-quality and popular varieties of raspberry trees are:
Their advantages are:
- excellent yield — up to 5 kg from one bush;
- large-fruited berries;
- winter hardiness of bushes that do not require shelter and tolerate cold down to -30 C.
Varieties «Bogatyr» and «Fairy Tale» are early ripe. You can buy these and other varieties of raspberry trees from Becker. In the assortment of our online store there are more than 2000 units of planting material, among which you are sure to find the culture you need.