Without phosphorus, it is impossible to grow healthy vegetables, juicy fruits, sweet berries, bright flowers, and a thick lawn. All plants need this useful element. Phosphorus is a boost of energy for abundant fruiting, a healthy garden and reliable wintering.
An important property of phosphate fertilizers is that they cannot overfeed the plants, which will take exactly as much as they need from the fertilized soil. Cultures overfed with phosphorus accelerate in development, as it were, and then age very quickly, without even having time to enter the phase of flowering or fruiting.
What does phosphorus deficiency lead to?
Phosphate fertilizers are the main source of energy for horticultural and horticultural crops. The element has a decisive influence on the development of plants, and its deficiency leads to a slowdown or complete cessation of growth. What should be paid attention to in order to determine phosphorus starvation? Here are the main signs:
- the plant grows slowly;
- thin shoots are formed;
- the tops of the plants die off;
- leaves turn purple;
- the kidneys open very late;
- the harvest becomes scarce.
Overview of Phosphate Fertilizers
Phosphorus fertilizers are produced in the form of powder mixtures and concentrated liquid solutions, and also are crystalline. All of them are stored for a long time without losing their useful properties. Application rates for a specific agricultural or horticultural crop are indicated on the packaging.
As a rule, all phosphorus complexes are poorly soluble, therefore they are applied in the fall when digging the soil. During the winter months, the mineral, under the influence of soil acids, penetrates into the soil, and in spring the roots of plants easily absorb it.
Among the numerous phosphorus complexes, we highlight several of the most popular among gardeners:
- Leda superphosphate is a nitrogen-phosphorus fertilizer containing more than 25% phosphorus and 6% nitrogen. It is recommended to feed almost all vegetables, berries, fruit and ornamental crops in open ground, greenhouses and indoors. The greatest benefit of autumn top dressing with this complex is brought to roses. Agronomists also note an increase in yield and an improvement in the taste characteristics of tomatoes, cucumbers, grapes, and strawberries.
- Nitroammophoska is a nitrogen-phosphorus-potassium fertilizer that is easily absorbed by plants. Available in liquid form or in the form of gray granules. This mineral complex is suitable for all plants and is used before planting crops (spring or autumn).
- Phosphorite flour contains, in addition to phosphorus, calcium, magnesium, silica and other useful minerals. Available in the form of a very fine powder or flour. The complex can be used on any soil. Usually, if the basic rules and norms for applying this fertilizer are observed, a sufficient amount of nutrients will remain in the soil for four years. Peas, mustard and cereals are best absorbed by phosphorus flour.
- Diammophos is a multicomponent mineral complex. Its composition, in addition to phosphorus and nitrogen, includes zinc, potassium, sulfur, magnesium, iron. This complex is used as a complete complex fertilizer. Top dressing improves the taste of vegetables and fruits: they become more juicy and sweet. After fertilizing, the plants tolerate frosts, prolonged rains and droughts well.
- Potassium monophosphate is a powder mixture that contains more than 20% phosphorus, as well as sulfur and nitrogen. It is used as an autumn top dressing of vegetable crops and berries. The most pronounced effect is achieved when fertilizing gourds, potatoes and carrots.
- Bone meal refers to phosphate fertilizers of organic origin. In the manufacture of specially processed bones of domestic animals are used. It is recommended to use during any period of vegetation of plants, as well as when transplanting all crops, including indoor flowers.
So, we apply phosphate fertilizers in the fall. We dig deep with the soil. Agronomists recommend carrying out phosphorus top dressing every 3-4 years: this is quite enough so that the harvest of vegetables and fruits does not decrease, the fruits are juicy and tasty, the flowers are bright and fragrant, the lawns are even and healthy.
If you have your own methods for using phosphorus mineral complexes, please share them in the comments. We offer a short master class from our agronomist, who will tell you how to properly apply phosphorus and other top dressings after flowering.