How wood ash works
Growing healthy «live» food requires special agricultural techniques and natural fertilizers. The best organic fertilizer known is manure. What is the best mineral? To «without chemistry»? Ordinary wood (vegetable) ash as a fertilizer has no equal!
Experienced gardeners never take any plant residues to the trash, whether it be cuttings of trees, bushes, “obsolete” tops or fallen leaves. All this wealth will be carefully dried, burned and brought into the soil.
In addition to the direct use of ash as a natural fertilizer, it can become:
- mineral supplement;
- soil structure improver;
- means for pest control;
- means for the prevention of plant disease;
Such a widespread use of ordinary ash is due to its composition and properties.
What is included in the composition of ordinary wood ash
The set of macro and microelements contained in the ash directly depends on the «initial raw materials». For example, ashes after burning straw contain a mass fraction of useful substances two times less than ashes from birch firewood. The “composition of ash” can be given only in very approximate values.
Any vegetable ash, regardless of the way it is obtained, contains 3 vital macronutrients: phosphorus (oxide), potassium, calcium (carbonate). The table shows the approximate content of substances in percent by weight.
Raw material for incineration
The content of trace elements in the ash reaches 30 items. It contains: silicon, manganese, magnesium, sulfur, iron, sodium, zinc molybdenum, etc.
Important! There is no chlorine in the ash, so it can be safely used to fertilize any kind of berries and vegetables. Since ash is a natural substance, you should not be afraid of an overdose.
The lack of nitrogen in the ash should be compensated by applying fresh manure or one-component nitrogen fertilizers.
Coal slag has no «nutritional» value for plants. However, it has proven itself well on heavy soils due to the high percentage of calcium. The disappearance of the wireworm was also noticed after the introduction of coal ash as a fertilizer.
Properties of ash and features of its impact on the soil
Ash has pronounced alkaline properties. Suffice it to recall that earlier, on its basis, housewives made lye, in which they washed and bleached linen. This property is indispensable for improving soil structure, reducing acidity.
Few plants (with the exception of some types of flowers) prefer acidic soils. Neutral, and preferably alkaline earth is the dream of a gardener in the middle lane and the north of our country. Fertilizer with ash simultaneously reduces acidity. The earth becomes lighter, more structured. The effect of a single application lasts up to 3 years. If the application is carried out regularly, the land will not be slow to respond with excellent harvests.
How to apply ash correctly depends on the initial structure of the soil. Clay, heavy areas are best fertilized in the fall. So the soil will have enough time to «digest» the introduced. In sandy, easily washed out areas where nutrient retention is the goal, ash should be used as a fertilizer in the spring.
Advice! For early snow melting in the garden, “pollinate” it with ashes. Dark snow will melt much faster, introducing valuable fertilizer into the soil. Norms and rules for the introduction of wood ash
Experienced gardeners bring ash «by eye», evenly scattering it in the necessary areas.
A novice gardener should know how to use ash:
- It is impossible to use ashes from bonfires, where, along with branches and tops, household waste, painted wood, chipboard, plywood were burned. This «fertilizer» is extremely toxic.
- A faceted glass contains about 100 gr. ash. This amount is enough for 1 square. m. dry spray or for the preparation of 1 bucket of water solution. In a liter jar is placed 500 gr., In a bucket — 5 kg.
- During storage, the ashes should be protected from moisture — potassium is lost under its action. In addition, moisture causes the ash to cake, which makes it impossible to apply it evenly in dry form.
- If it is not possible to «produce» ash on your own, then you can buy it. The cost of 1 kg of ash varies from 60 to 100 rubles.
- Ash is chemically very active substance. Any joint application of it with other fertilizers, whether it be manure or saltpeter, can lead to unpredictable results. At best, everything will go to waste. At worst, aggressive substances harmful to plantings can form. The required pause between applications is about 3 weeks.
- For lovers of room greens, top dressing with ashes will ensure good growth and health of flowers. For irrigation, a tablespoon (6 g) of ash is diluted in a liter of water. You can add dry ash to the soil during transplantation.
The folk technology of use consists in «mixing» handfuls of ash into the ground, starting with planting seeds for seedlings. It is also introduced into each hole (also a handful) when planting plants in the ground. Peppers, eggplants, tomatoes, cabbage, zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins vividly «respond» to such care.
How to use wood ash to protect garden plants
Fertilizing the soil is not limited to the beneficial properties of ash. Based on it, you can prepare effective medicines for plants and «poison» for pests.
Preparation and method of application of ash
Currants, gooseberries, cucumbers
Soap solution with the addition of ash, tobacco. Spraying before the appearance
Kila, black leg
Making dry when planting seedlings in the ground. Watering with a solution before tying heads
Cabbage, strawberries, wild strawberries
Pollination of the ground under plants during maturation
Pollination of plants
Application to the soil when planting seedlings, additionally — when ovaries appear
The proposed plant protection measures are time-consuming, require frequent repetition (after each watering or rain). Their use is justified in small, cultivated areas.
A competent approach, used throughout the entire growing season of plants, increases the yield by several times. Without the use of chemistry, a healthy ecosystem is formed on the site, which in the future will protect itself. The owner receives excellent, healthy food.