How to quickly feed trees
Trees and shrubs quickly deplete the land, if you do not apply fertilizer, the result will be unpredictable and you can not wait for a good harvest. that is why feeding should be done according to the schedule and in emergency cases, use methods that allow nutrients to be absorbed as quickly as possible.
Fertilization can be done in two ways.
- Root — the introduction of dressings into the top layer of soil, from where they will eventually be extracted by the roots.
- Foliar — spraying on the sheet.
In both the first and second cases, top dressing can be organic and inorganic.
Effective tree nutrition in spring
In early spring, we rush to inspect the trees, carry out sanitary pruning. If the buds have already begun to swell, then the soil has thawed and it’s time to carry out the first top dressing. At this time, the most important chemical element is nitrogen. Complex fertilizers, which contain this substance, are dissolved strictly according to the instructions. You can not overfeed trees and shrubs, otherwise the green mass will grow, and fruiting and flowering will be weak. Fattening plants never please with a harvest and decorative qualities. The only exceptions are trees and shrubs with a beautiful crown and leaves.
To simplify the work, we immediately consider all the trees and shrubs. Then we check the application rate, put a large barrel, or maybe even more than one, and make a solution for all crops at once. We also use this method in summer, so as not to dilute fertilizers with watering cans and not waste precious time.
Advice! Nutrients from the soil are absorbed by the roots for a long time. If you want to get a quick result, choose top dressing by leaf, but you can only do it at a time when the leaves have already unfolded completely.
By mid-May, the garden is usually already green, foliar feeding is possible until the buds have blossomed or immediately after flowering. The only condition: we choose dry weather, otherwise the rain will wash away the nutrient solution from the leaves and all the work will be in vain.
By the way, in the catalog of our online store there are excellent specialized fertilizers designed specifically for foliar feeding.
Feeding fruit trees in the hole
An effective way of top dressing, proven by thousands of gardeners-practitioners. This method is relevant not only for fruit crops, it can be used for coniferous and ornamental trees.
- Dig holes one bayonet deep around the perimeter of the crown. Leave an approximately equal distance between them. For an adult tree, 8-9 pieces are enough.
- Pour the desired amount of fertilizer onto a sheet of paper with an even side, divide it by the number of holes.
- Pour 3 liters of water into each well and wait until it is absorbed.
- Pour a portion of fertilizer and sprinkle with earth.
This method is considered one of the best. Nutrients gradually enter the soil exactly where there are most small absorbent roots. After such top dressing, the tree will be provided with everything necessary for a long time.
Top dressing of trees and shrubs in a groove
Popular fertilizer application method. Gardeners like it for its simplicity: there is no need to fill barrels, carry a lot of liquid fertilizer around the site. Organic and inorganic top dressings are applied dry and topped up with water from a hose. Really, is it easier? Begin:
- Make a groove about 15-20 cm deep along the perimeter of the crown.
- Sprinkle half of the fertilizer evenly.
- Mix it with the earth with a chopper.
- Pour in the remaining fertilizer and cover them with soil.
Water generously so that the granules begin to dissolve. Nothing more needs to be done.
Top dressing of fruit trees and shrubs in the pipe
This method makes it possible to deliver nutrition directly to the roots, bypassing the top layer of the earth. Be careful — you need to give the plants exactly as many nutrients as indicated in the instructions and only in a completely dissolved form. Otherwise, you risk burning the roots. First you need to install pipes:
- With a garden drill, make 2-3 holes around the perimeter of the crown. The pipe should be inclined, with the upper part deflected outward from the trunk.
- Install plastic sewer pipes so that they protrude from the ground by 15-20 cm.
- Choose the caps by size or buy ready-made caps at the plumbing store.
The resulting design will last for many years, it can be used not only for top dressing, but also for watering. just open the lid, pour in the fertilizer and they will go straight to the roots. Close the lid after fertilizing.
Fertilizing fruit trees: what fertilizers do fruit trees need?
All fruit trees have similar nutrient requirements. Focus on the life cycle of plants:
- At the beginning of growth, nitrogen is needed. This element helps to quickly develop the green part of plants, and hence the roots.
- Before flowering, there is a need for phosphorus. It is this substance that enables the buds to reveal their full potential.
- After the formation of the ovary and the ripening of the fruits, the load on the trees increases. They quickly deplete the nutrients in the soil, which means complex fertilizers are needed.
- After harvesting, the task of the gardener is to restore the nutritional value of the soil, it is necessary to feed with complex and organic fertilizers.
- In August, shoots ripen, the need for potassium increases. Purchased mineral complexes or ash can become its source.
In spring and autumn, mulch the near-stem circle with peat, compost or humus. This will help improve soil structure and provide nutrition to beneficial microorganisms.
Features of feeding coniferous trees
Most conifers love acidic soil, which means that ash must be completely abandoned. There are many specialized fertilizers, we recommend buying them. If this is not possible, use the organic matter that is at hand. Choose those that can acidify the soil:
- Compost, manure. Excellent for mulching the surface of the earth under the crown and around the tree.
- Peat. When growing coniferous crops, you need to know that only horseback is suitable. It is acidic, which means it can neutralize the effect of hard water when watering.
If there are no pests and diseases on the trees, regularly carry out preventive treatments. You can leave coniferous litter under the crown — this is the most natural fertilizer that will help maintain the acidity of the soil.
Use the information from the article to effectively feed the trees and shrubs in your garden and let the harvest be the envy of all your neighbors!