Feeding in August
Fertilizing garden plants helps to enhance their growth, form a large crop, and prepare green pets for winter. In the second half of summer, the emphasis is on potash and phosphorus compounds. In this article, read about when and how to fertilize crops in August.
GARDEN PARADISE: WHY FEED IN AUGUST
If in the spring nutritional compositions are introduced in order to accelerate the growth of perennials, then in the second half of summer the purpose of feeding is completely different. It is aimed at helping the trees that have given up the harvest, and the upcoming wintering is also taken into account. The nutrient compositions are selected in such a way that the wood has time to mature before the onset of autumn frosts. Late varieties of cultivated plants also require improved nutrition, because a rich harvest greatly depletes the trees.
Since the beginning of August, when fertilizing horticultural crops, the proportion of nitrogen fertilizers has been gradually reduced. Now each perennial needs other substances:
- Apple tree. For 1 m² of near-trunk area, 100 g of potash and phosphorus fertilizers should be applied. Crushed green manure is buried in the ground when loosening the soil.
- Pear. Wood ash — 150 g per 1 tree (embedded in the ground when digging to a depth of 10-20 cm). Mulching the trunk circle with pine bark, weathered peat or compost.
- Cherry. Potassium sulfate, superphosphate or phosphate rock (1 time in 3-4 years).
- Peaches and apricots. Wood ash (150 g per 1 trunk circle), chalk, calcium-containing fertilizers.
- Plums. Double superphosphate — up to 200 g per 1 tree (in the form of an aqueous solution). Potassium sulfate — 40 g per 1 m². Phosphorite flour — 200 g per 1 m² of the near-stem area 1 time in 3-4 years. Dolomite flour — 40 kg per 100 m².
- Irga. Under each bush in a dry way lay 1 tbsp. a spoonful of potassium sulfate, 300 g of wood ash and 200 g of superphosphate.
- Mulberry white and black. Starting from the second half of August, 100 g of superphosphate, 40 kg of compost, 50 g of potassium sulfate can be applied under trees.
BERRY CROPS: HOW TO FEED IN AUGUST
Remontant varieties of raspberries and strawberries (strawberries) continue to produce crops in August, the fruiting of these plants continues until the very frost, so the bushes need to be fed. Raspberries are very responsive to the introduction of nutrients; after feeding, the bushes begin to gain color and form a new crop of berries. Depleted soil significantly reduces the yield.
In August, remontant and classic raspberry varieties are fed, usually this procedure is performed after pruning the bushes. In August, you should not feed raspberry bushes with nitrogen compounds; it is best to use potassium-phosphorus fertilizers. A good result is observed after watering the bushes with an ash extract (take 500 g of ash in a bucket of water and insist). The water for preparing the nutrient solution should be taken hot.
An aqueous solution of magnesium sulfate and boric acid is useful for spraying the bushes on the leaves.
In August, it is worth laying new berry plantations, planting rooted mustaches in a permanent place. When planting young plants, you can put a pinch of ash, compost and double superphosphate in the hole, good results are obtained by using ready-made strawberry starter fertilizer.
Fruiting adult bushes are fertilized with nitrogen and potassium fertilizers, but from nitrogen compounds it is permissible to use only a strong solution of urea, which protects the bushes from fungal diseases. You can use ready-made fertilizer, for example, Autumn (Buy fertilizers). The compositions are introduced into the furrows made parallel to the rows of berry bushes.
Red and black currants have already yielded a crop of fragrant berries, it is from the end of summer that the formation of fruit buds begins, which will bear fruit next year. For top dressing, an aqueous solution of nutrients is used, for its preparation it should be mixed in 10 liters of water, 1 tbsp. l. superphosphate and potassium sulfate. The nutrient solution is applied under the bushes after watering.
LAWN: WHAT TO FERTILIZE AT THE END OF SUMMER
In early August, lawns are fed with nitrogen fertilizers for the last time, and by the end of summer they are completely excluded. At the same time, they switch to ready-made balanced compositions. Excellent results can be achieved when fertilizing Fertik (Lawn, autumn), which has been used since the end of August. It contains phosphorus and potassium, they help lawn grass to perfectly prepare for wintering.
Top dressing of perennial flowers and shrubs in August
These crops are fertilized according to one rule — potash and phosphorus top dressings are chosen. In mid-August, you can carry out one foliar feeding of plants with microelements using ready-made cocktails.
Fertilize your green pets correctly and in a timely manner, this will help them to winter without frostbite and form fruit buds for the next season!